Civic Academies on a variety of issues are on our calendar:
- Affordable Care Act – Sunday, April 7, 1:00 PM, St. Francis in the Foothills with panelists Rep. Ethan Orr, Dr. Eve Shapiro and Peg Harmon, CCS Director
- Immigration Dialogue – Saturday, April 20, 9:00 AM, St. John’s UMC
- Environmental Discussion & Film – Monday, April 22, 6:00 PM, St. Cyril’s
- Immigration Discussion – Tuesday, April 30th, 6:30 PM, Our Mother of Sorrows
- Affordable Care Act – Saturday, May 4th, 10:00 AM, St. Cyril’s
PCIC and AIN clergy will be meeting again on April 25th in Casa Grande to continue the push for Immigration Reform. Meetings were held with Congressional Reps. Grijalva and Barber in Tucson the past two weeks and with Senator Flake, and Reps. Sinema and Pastor in the Phoenix area. National legislation continues to move forward.
PCIC leaders will return to Phoenix again on Tuesday to push for Medicaid expansion and increased funding for education. The team has met with all the Tucson area legislators and some neighboring legislators as well.
On the local front, leaders are meeting with all the city council members, mayor and city manager concerning proposed cuts to JobPath, increased fees for Kidco and increased bus fares. The budget will be introduced on April 16th, with a hearing on April 23rd, and a final vote on May 21st. Although the economy is improving, the City Budget is still said to be 15 million in the red. Stay tuned for more details as we learn them.
Congratulations to the Tucson Bus Riders Union who held a Community Vision for the Ronstadt Center at the Rialto Theatre last Tuesday! Over 300 community, neighborhood and PCIC members attended in support of the bus riders.