- Organized over 120 house meetings, a dozen civic academies, and a very successful candidate accountability session.
- Encouraged our fellow citizens to vote by completing non-partisan voter registration, voter education, and get-out-the-vote activities.
- Secured increased funding for JobPath from both the county and city. The May graduation featured over 100 young Pima County residents who have graduated and been hired for local living wage careers such as aircraft technicians, nurses, electricians, and dental assistants.
I remember the day the afterschool program denied my kids because our balance was past due. . . Without JobPath I wouldn’t have seen my graduation day…
Last Thursday I received my first check as an R.N.”
- Trained over a hundred Hispanic community members to identify issues such as training, jobs and citizenship and to become active leaders in their communities.
- Worked with legislators at the capitol to pass an extension of Prop. 301 to continue a one-cent sales tax for education.
- Initiated a pilot neighborhood initiative with the Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona, area congregations and schools to address the needs and concerns of one of Pima County’s poorest and most diverse communities.
- Collaborated with a diverse group of organizations like the Tucson Police Department, the Pima County Sheriff’s office, Catholic Community Services, the YWCA, and the City Parks and Recreation Department to keep drugs out of our neighborhood parks, find refuge for immigrants seeking asylum, and engage local citizens in developing solutions for issues in their communities.
I’m working (now) so I can better the lives of my children and other children.”
- Rene, Community Food Bank Intern and Accountability Session speaker
We have an ambitious plan to engage even more congregations, non-profits and business supporters in the work of making Tucson and Pima County a family-friendly, well-educated and engaged community.
We’ll need your help in identifying initiatives that underscore the commitment to improve the quality of life in the community that we live in. It takes all of us to be involved to ensure a positive outcome.
-PCI Executive Strategy Team